The Ray Dolby Centre is an addition to the University of Cambridge's West Cambridge campus. The new state-of-the-art laboratory is a purpose-built centre for world-leading research for the university's department of physics, bringing a large number of research groups together. The department is noted for its breakthrough contributions to the development of science over the past 140 years, dating back to when the original Cavendish Laboratory was established in 1874.
The building houses a range of laboratories, offices, cleanrooms, workshops and multiple lecture theatres. The scheme also provides an independent Shared Facilities Hub offering catering, collaborative teaching, and meeting, study and library spaces. The basement area incorporates specialist acoustic and vibration treatments to achieve the stringent control criteria necessary for operating equipment highly sensitive to vibration.
civil & structural engineering, building services engineering, acoustics